Tuesday 22 January 2013

Inexpensive Holiday Fun


This is the sixth week of Summer school holidays and as it has been very hot! My kids have spent HOURS and HOURS in the pool. My youngest thought it would be great to freeze some sea creatures that he bought at the $2 shop and also made some frozen boats to play with in the pool.



As each sea creature thawed, it sunk to the bottom and he had fun diving down to retrieve them.



Creative Weaving

Weaving on garden trellis

We had this roll of gardening trellis in the garage and my daughter thought she would make a heart in preparation for Valentines Day.



You can cut the trellis using scissors into any shape you can imagine!


As I am an avid crafter, we always have a huge supply of craft materials. Here we used wool, tulle, material, ribbon, lace, felt and feathers. We chose shades of pinks and reds, as we were making a heart. She was very creative as she experimented with different ways to attach the materials and didn't only use the traditional method of over and under.


Squares are most suitable for young children to manage. This is an excellent fine motor activity and can be extended to introduce pattern as well. When I have done this activity in the past with my class of three year olds, it has promoted a lot of new language. On the whole, it is a fabulous learning experience for all ages.


Weaving by three year olds!


Happy weaving!!

20 comments:

  1. I love the weaving idea. I think it would be really fun for my 5 year old to begin to learn, and this is a great way to introduce this new skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you cut the trellis into a heart for Valentine's Day. It is those kind of things that bring an activity to the next level. I need to do some weaving with my four year old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of freezing toys in ice for the pool. When summer comes around here I will be doing that! And how pretty your Heart came out! Perfect for Valentines day and I love how you made the squares for the kids to learn and do some weaving themselves. Thanks so much for sharing on We Made That!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I am following you from the hop and really like your blog. It is very playful and you have some great craft ideas. I love the 'make your own game board and dice'. Even the chess board look like fun to make. Thanks for sharing.
    I would love for you to follow along.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and beautiful project! We don't have any garden trellis but I'm thinking we could weave with a cookie cooling rack. Thanks for the inspiration!
    -Ann @ My Nearest and Dearest

    ReplyDelete
  6. this turned out so lovely & what a fun project. I have to find a way to do some cool weaving with my girls. Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase - I've featured you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this way of weaving - so pretty.

    Just letting you know I featured it on The Sunday Showcase: http://www.herecomethegirlsblog.com/2013/01/26/the-sunday-showcase-valentines-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the weaving project! It turned out so pretty. Thank you for linking up this week to the brand new Hearts for Home Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there :) Thanks for linking this to Tuesday Tots. Just letting you know that I've featured this post on this week's TTs. You can see it here: (http://www.learnwithplayathome.com/2013/01/10-fun-valentines-activities-for.html) and collect a featured button if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What creative ideas!!! The weaving project turned out great! Thanks for sharing this with us at Eco Kids Tuesday! I hope you come share again at this week's link-up! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-funky-junky-windchime-at-eco-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi :) Thanks for sharing this on the Kid's Co-Op! I love the idea of using a trelis for weaving. I have pinned this and I am featuring this activity on Triple T Mum's Kid's Co-Op Showcase tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the weaving, so clever! We featured it as one of our favorite posts from last week's The Kid's Co-op linky (http://glitteringmuffins.com/2013/01/24/kids-co-op-38/)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your creative weaving:) I featured it this week on the kids co-op at Housing A Forest. I can't wait to see what you link up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving your weaving idea! I'm featuring it on Share It Saturday! Thank-you for linking up ; )!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could try that in my kiddie pool for my boys, I bet they would like it.

    Thanks for linking up at Artsy Play Wednesday. Pinned to our group board.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! Especially in this heat wave. Thanks for linking up with us at Artsy Play Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The frozen boats and toys is a fab idea and perfect for this current heat wave we are having! I also love the weaving idea which would help the children with their fine motor skills as well as being fun. Thanks for sharing your ideas with Summer Carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so pretty. DD would love doing this! Very creative too :)
    -Resh @ StackingBooks.com

    ReplyDelete