Tuesday 15 January 2013

Maths Fun on Tuesday


This week we continued on the challenge of making games to keep us entertained in the school holidays.


We began with a simple die made from an old, clean custard carton.




After cutting the carton to have equal sides, we covered it in plain white paper. My daughter used circle stickers to make the sides of the die and then we laminated them.


A fun game that we all played.



An empty donut container was used for some simple counting and number recognition fun. By using tongs and chopsticks you can incorporate fine motor skills as well as maths concepts. All of the materials were things we had lying around at home and the activities were endless. 
I made the numbers out of cellophane scraps and laminated them, but didn't stick them in the container so that we weren't limited in our activities. Being cellophane and plastic, it will make a perfect resource for the light table.


Throw the die and use the tongs to put the correct number of objects in the container.


We made the numbers out of straws and pipe cleaners and put them in the corresponding containers.  



More complicated maths challenges.


Have a wonderful week and see you next Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I like it ! It's really amazing !
    I'll do it with my little one!
    Thanks a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, and so simple to make too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is really cute! Easy and simple, fun way to learn.

    Thanks for linking up to Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like lots of fun! I love playing with math. Thanks for linking up to Share It Saturday. I am pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this so much I featured it on Mom's Library this week. Hop on over and grab an I was Featured button! Can't wait to see what you've been up to this week!
    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
    http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/2013/01/moms-library-link-up-14-for-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that idea to make numbers out of straws and pipe cleaners. I will definitely be trying that with my kids soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow SO cute! Love the idea of making a larger die! Thank you so much for sharing on the Sunday Showcase! Pinning now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these games!


    We have a special focus this week on maths and number posts at the Empty Your Archive link party, and I would absolutely love for you to link this up, Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete